Thursday, August 7, 2008

Mommy traditions


Having two children is so much fun. I love to think back on how and what Easton was doing at the age that Lawson is now and how they are the same and how they are different. In some ways, Easton was ahead of Lawson and in some ways Lawson is ahead of Easton.  I think that each baby just develops in their own time and it doesn't really mean that one is more advanced than the other. 

I love bath time. I think they are so sweet when they are all bundled up in their towels. I started when Easton was a baby taking him out of the bath, bundling him up and showing him himself in the mirror. I would hold him up and say things like, "Look, there's baby Easton. He's so sweet. He's momma's little baby boy." Easton began to look forward to those after bath times talking to the mirror. He has even asked me after he has been older when I will get him out of the bath and bundle him up for me to pick him up and look in the mirror with him. It was only natural when Lawson came along for me to do that with him, too. It is so special to have these little silly traditions that will be forever sweet memories for me to hold on to. 

Another thing that I started with Easton and has worked wonderful with Lawson too is singing "Five Little Ducks" while I cut their fingernails and toenails. Ha ha! That was something that terrified me when Easton was little. I was so afraid that he would move around too much and I would end up cutting him. But both boys as babies have laid perfectly still while I sing that song and clip those little nails. I don't know what it is, but I am so glad they like it! : )

"Five little ducks went out to play, 
Over the hills and far away, 
And the momma duck said, 'Quack, quack, quack'
And four little ducks came a waddling back......"

5 comments:

Jamey said...

Such sweet babies! I love bath time too. For some reason, bundled babies in towels are the most innocent images to me!

I love the duck song. When it's the daddy duck talks, Avery lowers her voice and gets her arms big and says, "quack, quack, come back!" Then she giggles as they "all quickly run" back!

Jamey said...

P.S. Do you remember Christy Cheatam from Harding? She and I are coaching together now. She was laughing because she was telling me about how she has a marketing degree, but is going back to graduate school to become a teacher. I told her you did something similar, and she remembered you. Random info!

Bethany said...

I loved bathtime too. Tatum is getting too old for mommy to help her. (She takes showers!!) But she loves to talk about the "old days" when we would count her toes and fingers when she got out to make sure they were all still there.

Enjoy the bathtimes you still have left! :) They pass all too quickly!

Caroline said...

Oh, friend. Your forget I am single with no kids. :) I probably have a little more time and energy to cook! I will probably be ordering pizza when I am a mom. :)

Amanda said...

Those are sweet traditions that you'll all get to look back on years from now and remember all the fun times. I usually cut Gracen's nails while she's taking her bottle because that's about the only time she's still. I'll have to try the duck song next time.